Monday, October 8, 2007

Choosing a Side: The Parents Need to Take Control

I have picked the con side (Parents need to take control). I have selected the con side because after reading through all of my articles and books I have decided that parents have more control over their child's diet rather than a school. My strongest arguments will be that parents teach and instill their child's eating habits. They control what they are fed from birth and they are examples of how adults eat. Children will think this is the proper way of living and continue in their parents footsteps. Parents should also provide their children with healthy and nutritional meals everyday day. They should pack them a brown bag lunch and make dinner every night. Giving a child money to purchase unhealthy meals and getting fast food or take out every night is not the answer. Another argument will be that studies have shown that a child's weight fluctuates the most during the summer months when school is not in session. Even though physical activity may increase, children are not burring off all of the excess calories they consume during they day. Not only do they continue to eat unhealthy foods, but now more unhealthy foods like ice cream are appealing since it is hot out. I intend to convince my readers to agree with me by stating all of my research including statistics and quotes. I have many statistics that state obesity is the worse now than its ever been. I also have statistics that show when a child is mostly likely to gain weight and the results show that its when their diet is controlled by their parents. I also have quotes from USDA workers and influential people from many states including our own NJ Governor about this topic. My only concerns about not being able to effectively argue this position is if research shows that weight problems have decreased in New Jersey due to this new nutritional plan that has been introduced. It will take more than one year to definitely know if this plan is effective so I don't think this will b e a big problem for me.

No comments: